Closing qualifiers are nonetheless wrapping up, leaving a couple of spots left within the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, however that’s not stopping the ball rolling on the event. Friday marks the announcement of the draw for group levels, with 32 groups, together with host nation Qatar, all discovering out their fates.
It’s an especially uncommon World Cup that gained’t kick off till November 21 on account of considerations about warmth within the Persian Gulf, which routinely tops 100 levels Fahrenheit in the summertime and could be hazardous for gamers. Consequently 2022, will mark the primary World Cup to be held outdoors of Could-July, as has been the custom since 1930.
When is the draw introduced?
FIFA will draw the groups for the group stage at 12 p.m. ET on Friday, April 1.
The World Cup draw is being streamed reside from Qatar on FoxSports.com and on the Fox Sports activities App.
Who has certified up to now?
Right here is the total least of groups in up to now, divided by their area.
- Three groups nonetheless competing between Wales, Scotland and Ukraine
- Peru remains to be competing, and can play the winner of Australia vs. United Arab Emirates for a spot.
- Costa Rica remains to be competing, and can play New Zealand for a spot.
- South Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- Australia and the United Arab Emirates are nonetheless competing, with the winner taking part in Peru for a spot.
- New Zealand gained oceania, however that doesn’t assure a spot within the World Cup. They’ll play Costa Rica to find out who’s in.
How are the teams determined?
Groups are organized into 4 pots, after which chosen by random draw. The pot system is essentially designed so no two groups in the identical pot may be paired within the group stage — providing some restricted management over the parity of the World Cup.
What concerning the “Group of Demise”?
Whereas the pot draw system gives restricted management, there’s sometimes one group that randomly turns into essentially the most brutal. The time period originated through the 1970 World Cup in Mexico as a solution to check with the horrific Group C, which noticed Brazil, England, Romania and Czechoslovakia put collectively. Brazil would go on to win the World Cup.
What do I must find out about this 12 months’s subject?
The largest, and most evident omission is Russia, who’ve been banned from the 2022 World Cup because of the nation’s invasion of Ukraine. That’s the greatest headline incident for this subject, however there are a number of different key groups who’re lacking out.
- Italy did not qualify for the second straight World Cup.
- Sweden misplaced to Poland to be eradicated, regardless of being the No. 17 ranked staff on the earth.
- Colombia are ranked No. 19, but additionally did not punch their ticket.
- Chile performed Cinderellas in every of the final two World Cups, making it to the ultimate 16 in back-to-back appearances, however didn’t qualify for Qatar.
- Nigeria did not qualify for the primary time since 2006.